My Spelling DictionaryTM is a new addition to MultiLit’s range of high quality literacy publications. It has been carefully designed to link the teaching of Australian English spelling and vocabulary.
Sometimes when you want to write a word, it is hard to remember how to spell it. Although you know what the word sounds like, it isn’t always easy to remember what it looks like. It can also be difficult to look up the spelling of the word in a dictionary if you don’t know which letter it starts with.
My Spelling Dictionary is organised differently to conventional dictionaries to help solve this where the words are grouped according to their beginning sound not their beginning letter.
For example, if a student wanted to spell the word ‘wrist’, the student would look up the word under the sound /r/, rather than the letter ‘w’. If they wanted to look up the word ‘queue’, they would look the word up under the sound /k/, not the letter ‘q’.
This helps students appreciate that spelling is often about representing sounds in a number of different ways and it enables students to more easily find a word when they are not sure of the spelling. In the My Spelling Dictionary students can also record and define the words they want to remember by writing them on the page of the sound they start with.
Students can use My Spelling Dictionary in a number of ways:
- To find out how to spell sounds in different ways.
- As a reference for checking the spelling and definitions of words they might use in their writing.
- As a reference for the spelling and definitions of common academic words.
- To find out how to pronounce vowel spelling patterns in different ways.
- To look up some useful spelling rules and conventions.
- To find out the spelling and meanings of the most common prefixes, suffixes and roots.
- To check the spelling of the most common high-frequency words – the words that make up about 75 percent of what we write.
My Spelling Dictionary is not only a helpful resource for assisting students to improve their spelling, it is also a tool to improve more general literacy skills like building vocabulary and understanding the meaning of words.
Useful suffixes, prefixes, rules and conventions are explained at the back of the dictionary as a quick reference tool to aid students’ spelling knowledge. These skills will enhance students’ ability to express themselves across all curriculum areas.
This dictionary complements the use of Spell-It, a spelling program for classroom use.
Pricing and purchase information
Please click here for the Price List and Order Form.