Early literacy preparation program
PreLit is a systematic, skills-based program that lays a sound foundation for children to learn to read. It provides early childhood teachers with the tools necessary to teach pre-literacy skills and concepts in a fun and engaging way, focusing on phonological awareness and oral language development through structured storybook reading.
Who is it for?
- Preschool children in the year before formal schooling begins
- Children in the Foundation year without sufficient pre-literacy skills
PreLit can be taught to a whole class, small groups or individually, by preschool teachers and child care centre staff, teachers and parents. It is designed to be delivered three times a week.
- Evidence-based, best practice program which is appropriate for all children regardless of skill level
- Highly cost-effective small group or whole class instruction program, with low ongoing operating costs
- Easy to adopt in an early childhood or school setting
The program is systematic, skills-based and taught in a hierarchical sequence, and designed to complement a play-based learning environment. There are 108 short, clearly prescribed lessons that incorporate different types of phonological awareness activities and oral blending and segmentation activities.
Various activities are presented in a game format and lessons are cumulative with children progressing through the program at their pace and developmental level. Each activity is 15-20 minutes.
The PreLit Kit includes the following components:
- Teacher manual
- Lessons book
- Sound snap presentation book
- Letter cards
- Alphabet picture cards
- Picture cards
- Shared story book reading cards based on 36 well-known children’s storybooks