the Macquarie Literacy Program for small group instruction
MacqLit is an explicit and systematic reading intervention program for small groups of older low-progress readers. It provides teachers with a comprehensive sequence of lessons that includes all the key components necessary for effective reading instruction: phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary and comprehension.
Who is it for?
- Ideal for students who fall in the bottom 25% of a standardised reading test or curriculum-based measure, and who have particular difficulties in the area of word recognition
- Specifically aimed at struggling readers in Year 3 through to high school
- Small group program only for use in schools
- Delivered by teachers, learning support teachers, special educators, and well-trained and well-supported teacher aides
- Each lesson is designed to be completed in one hour, and for best results should be delivered at least four times a week
- Students also require opportunities to practice their skills by reading one-on-one with a tutor for 20 minutes, preferably daily
- A systematic and explicit reading intervention program for older low-progress readers
- Comprehensive sequence of lessons including all the components necessary for effective reading instruction
- Allows students to generalize component skills through connected text reading
Older low-progress readers need to develop rapid, automatic and efficient word recognition strategies. That means the primary focus of MacqLit is on phonics, or word identification, supported by connected text reading to ensure skills are generalised to authentic reading experiences.
The teaching of phonic skills is addressed through 122 carefully scripted lessons, divided into nine parts, delivered to small groups (ideally four students, but with provision for flexibility). The carefully constructed sequence of lessons teaches essential skills such as:
- Letter-sound correspondences presented in an easy to hard sequence,
- Strategies for decoding multi-syllable words,
- Prefixes and suffixes, and
- Generalising component skills through connected text reading.
- Bonus: WARP Kit included with first MacqLit Kit purchased
In addition, students should be given extensive opportunities to practise their skills by reading one-on-one with a tutor for 20 minutes, preferably daily, through MultiLit’s well-established and highly successful Reinforced Reading. Student progress is monitored through regular cumulative reviews built into the program.
The MacqLit Kit includes:
- Teacher Manual
- Nine Handbooks, including lesson scripts
- A set of Sounds and Words books for use by students
- Reinforced Reading booklet and video (on USB drive)
- Testing and Lessons Record Book, for recording and monitoring group progress
- Flashcards, Sound Prompt Cards, Sight Words Cards
For answers to frequently asked questions about MacqLit, click here.
To read our briefing on the research behind MacqLit, click here.
Please note: MacqLit and the associated PD workshop are available only to schools.
MacqLit Professional Development Workshop
The two-day MacqLit Professional Development workshop takes a contemporary balanced approach towards reading instruction. This includes an overview of the research base that underpins MacqLit, linking the program to the five key elements of teaching reading. As a result, the workshop covers how to teach phonics explicitly and systematically, building vocabulary and developing comprehension strategies.
Training in MacqLit program delivery is compulsory prior to implementation of the program to ensure quality of delivery.
What the workshop covers
- Explanation of MultiLit’s approach to reading instruction
- Identifying students who need the program and placing them into groups
- Overview of the MacqLit kit, consumables and downloadable resources
- In-depth look at the various activities associated with MacqLit and hands-on practice at delivering them
- Progress monitoring
- Reinforced Reading – book selection and Pause, Prompt, Praise strategies
- Training in the Wheldall Assessment of Reading Passages (WARP)
- Behaviour management using Positive Teaching
- Implementing MacqLit in your school.
2 Day (12 Hours)
Who should attend?
- Teachers, learning support teachers, special educators, and well-trained and well-supported teacher aides, who are working with students from Year 3 onwards
NSW Education Standards Authority
Completing the MacqLit Professional Development Workshop will contribute 12 hours of NESA Registered PD addressing 1.2.2, 1.6.2, 2.5.2, 3.2.2, 3.5.2, 3.6.2, 5.2.2, 5.4.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW.
Teacher Quality Institute, ACT
This program has been accredited by TQI in 2020. Attendance provides 10 PD hours for ACT teachers.
3 easy steps to book your place
1. Check the Professional Development Calendar to find the next date in your chosen location.
2. Complete the PD Registration form with your full details.
3. Email your completed form to email@example.com.
A MultiLit representative will be in touch with you by email to confirm your registration and provide workshop details. Included in all MultiLit workshops are detailed notes to take back to your school, coffee and tea on arrival, morning tea and lunch. If your order includes a program kit, this will be sent directly to your delivery address.
Please note: P-MAC 001 (MacqLit Kit Only) is available only if you have previously purchased P-MAC 1 (MacqLit PD + Kit) or W-MAC 001 (MacqLit PD Only). The use of MultiLit publications and attendance at professional development workshops is for personal education use in schools with State/Territory accreditation (‘Accredited Schools’). Other commercial use, hiring or lending, or other use as part of any commercial, not-for-profit, or fee-paying program of instruction or tuition not carried out within an Accredited School is strictly prohibited.