Assessing student progress is critical
It is not enough to simply assess the reading of students – it is important that teachers know what to do with the information.
This Professional Development Workshop will provide teachers with a solid understanding of the importance of using data to monitor students’ reading progress on a very regular basis so that no student gets left behind.
It will also emphasise the need for a consistent school-wide approach to reading assessment, linking the measurement of reading progress to the three tiers of intervention within the Response to Intervention framework.
What the workshop covers
- How to create a coherent school-wide reading assessment process
- How to use the data obtained from a range of tools to inform instructional decisions
- Training in the WARP (Wheldall Assessment of Reading Passages) and WARL (Wheldall Assessment of Reading Lists), which are quick, simple and reliable general measures of reading progress – students read for just one minute from lists or 200-word passages. The WARP and WARL are used both for screening and measuring students’ ongoing progress.
Key features of the WARP and WARL
- Quick and easy to administer
- Screen large groups to identify those at risk of falling behind
- Monitor the progress of individual low-progress readers on a weekly basis
- Easy to use benchmark/cut-off scores to identify the bottom 25%
- Access to a special record-keeping and charting tool to track students’ progress
Who should attend?
This Workshop is designed for school leaders, classroom and learning support teachers, school counsellors, specialist reading teachers/tutors and literacy coaches who are working with students from Foundation to Year 8/9.
One day (6 PD hrs)
- Detailed notes to take back to your school
- Coffee and tea on arrival, morning tea and lunch
Sydney (Macquarie Park)
Please refer to the Professional Development Calendar, and if the workshop is not currently being held in your preferred location, please email us. MultiLit will also consider on-site training in your area if you have a large number of staff from your school, or from neighbouring schools, who are keen to be trained.
Feedback on the workshop
“Great workshop. Kept practical. Allowed for reflection of practice and affirmation of strategies being used to support low-level learners. Supportive presentation loaded with some great ideas and encouragement for supporting students at risk.”
~ Kym Webb, Special Education Teacher, Sandgate District State High School, Queensland
Pricing and course codes
Please click here for the Price List and Order Form.
3 easy steps to book your place
- Download the Professional Development Calendar to find the next date in your chosen location.
- Complete the PD Registration form with your full details.
- Fax your completed PD Registration form to 02 9888 3818 or email to [email protected].
A MultiLit representative will then be in touch with you by email in due course to provide the details of the workshop. If your order includes a program kit, this will be sent directly to your delivery address.
You may also be interested in: