An explicit approach to teaching spelling
The teaching of spelling has been neglected over the years. Several generations have missed out on systematic instruction in how the English language works. Designed for upper primary and secondary students (and beyond), Spell-It teaches the rules, conventions, structure and logic of the English language, to enable teachers to plan effective spelling lessons based on the needs of their students.
This one-day workshop, accompanying the purchase of the Spell-It Program, provides the essential information and practical guidance necessary to implement the Program successfully.
What the workshop covers
- The systematic Spell-It teaching approach
- A theoretical overview of the structure of words
- Useful spelling rules and conventions, and how best to teach them
- Identification of spelling needs through use of assessment tools
- How to program for spelling based on students’ gaps in knowledge
- How to differentiate spelling instruction within a class
- An opportunity to practise the teaching activities through application exercises
Key features of Spell-It
- A systematic and explicit approach to spelling from Year 4 upwards
- Can be used in whole class or small group settings
- Comprehensive teaching and practice activities for classroom use or for homework
- Detailed teaching notes for use by the teacher
- Guidance on differentiated spelling instruction
- Useful word lists
- Assessments to identify students’ need
- Programming templates to plan instruction
- Opportunity to develop and extend vocabulary through word study
- Downloadable Activity Book (can also be purchased as a consumable)
*Spell-It is a resource that provides a framework and suggested activities for teachers to plan and implement spelling lessons targeted to fill gaps in students’ knowledge. Unlike MultiLit’s other programs, which use detailed, sequential lessons to teach initial reading skills, Spell-It is a program that enables teachers to effectively accommodate the diverse spelling needs of older students.
Who should attend?
This Workshop is designed for classroom, learning support and English teachers who are working with students from Year 4 onwards.
The Spell-It Kit and Spell-It PD are available only to schools.
One day (6 PD hrs)
- Training notes
- Coffee and tea on arrival, morning tea and lunch
|NSW Education Standards Authority|
|Completing the Spell-It Professional Development Workshop will contribute 6 hours of NESA Registered PD addressing 2.1.2, 2.5.2, 3.2.2, 5.1.2, 5.4.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW.|
|Teacher Quality Institute, ACT|
|This program has been accredited by TQI in 2019. Attendance provides 5 PD hours for ACT teachers.|
Sydney (Macquarie Park), Canberra, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide
Note: Please refer to the Professional Development Calendar, and if the workshop is not currently being held in your preferred location, please email us. MultiLit will also consider on-site training in your area if you have a group of 10 or more teachers from your school, or from neighbouring schools, who are keen to be trained.
Pricing and course codes
Please click here for the Price List and Order Form.
P-SPE 001 (Spell-It Kit Only) are available only if you have previously purchased P-SPE 1 (Spell-It PD + Kit) or W-SPE 001 (Spell-It PD Only).
3 easy steps to book your place
- Download the Professional Development Calendar to find the next date in your chosen location.
- Complete the PD Registration form with your full details.
- Fax your completed PD Registration form to 02 9888 3818 or email to [email protected].
A MultiLit representative will then be in touch with you by email in due course to provide the details of the workshop. If your order includes a program kit, this will be sent directly to your delivery address.
Please note: The use of MultiLit publications and attendance at professional development workshops is for personal education use in schools with State/Territory accreditation (‘Accredited Schools’). Other commercial use, hiring or lending, or other use as part of any commercial, not-for-profit, or fee-paying program of instruction or tuition not carried out within an Accredited School is strictly prohibited.
You may also be interested in: