the Macquarie Literacy Program for small group instruction
MacqLit is an explicit, systematic reading intervention program for struggling readers in Year 3 and above. The two-day professional development workshop takes a contemporary balanced approach towards reading instruction. This includes an overview of the research base that underpins MacqLit, linking the program to the five key elements of teaching reading. As a result, the workshop covers how to teach phonics explicitly and systematically, building vocabulary and developing comprehension strategies.
The training also covers the practical implementation and delivery of the program through extensive small group role-play activities and live video demonstrations of lessons in both primary and high school settings.
What the workshop covers
- What is MacqLit?
- Response to Intervention – how MacqLit fits within a RtI framework
- How MacqLit fits with other MultiLit programs
- What is explicit instruction – scripted, direct instruction, well-sequenced
- MacqLit and explicit instruction
- Resources – program resources, downloadables
- Training in the Wheldall Assessment of Reading Passages (WARP)
- Implementation and logistics
- The research base
- MacqLit scope and sequence
- Student selection and placement
- Lesson delivery
- Reinforced Reading
- Testing and monitoring
Key features of MacqLit
- A systematic and explicit reading intervention program for older low-progress readers
- Small group program only for use in schools
- Comprehensive sequence of lessons including all the components necessary for effective reading instruction
- Ideal for students who fall in the bottom 25% of a standardised reading test or curriculum-based measure, and who have particular difficulties in the area of word recognition
- Specifically aimed at struggling readers in Year 3 through to high school
- Package comprises a comprehensive Kit and two-day Professional Development (PD) Workshop
- Bonus: WARP Kit included in first MacqLit Kit purchased
Who should attend?
This Workshop is designed for teachers, learning support teachers, special educators, and well-trained and well-supported teacher aides, who are working with students from Year 3 onwards.
The MacqLit Kit and MacqLit PD are available only to schools.
Two days (12 PD hrs)
- Training materials notes
- Coffee and tea on arrival, morning tea and lunch
- Certificate of attendance upon completion
|NSW Education Standards Authority|
|Completing the MacqLit Professional Development Workshop will contribute 12 hours of NESA Registered PD addressing 1.2.2, 1.6.2, 2.5.2, 3.2.2, 3.5.2, 3.6.2, 5.2.2, 5.4.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW.|
|Teacher Quality Institute, ACT|
|This program has been accredited by TQI in 2020. Attendance provides 10 PD hours for ACT teachers.|
Sydney (Macquarie Park, Gymea, Campbelltown, Liverpool), Newcastle (NSW), Dubbo (NSW), Canberra, Brisbane, Mooloolaba (Qld), Townsville (Vic), Melbourne, Geelong (Vic), Warrnambool (Vic), Adelaide, Perth
Note: Please refer to the Professional Development Calendar, and if the workshop is not currently being held in your preferred location, please email us. MultiLit will also consider on-site training in your area if you have a group of 10 or more teachers from your school, or from neighbouring schools, who are keen to be trained.
Please click here for the Price List and Order Form.
P-MAC 001 (MacqLit Kit Only) are available only if you have previously purchased P-MAC 1 (MacqLit PD + Kit) or W-MAC 001 (MacqLit PD Only). Schools registering staff for PD will be invoiced by MultiLit Pty Ltd.
3 easy steps to book your place
- Download the Professional Development Calendar to find the next date in your chosen location.
- Complete the PD Registration form with your full details.
- Fax your completed PD Registration form to 02 9888 3818 or email to [email protected].
A MultiLit representative will then be in touch with you by email in due course to provide the details of the workshop. If your order includes a program kit, this will be sent directly to your delivery address.
Please note: The use of MultiLit publications and attendance at professional development workshops is for personal education use in schools with State/Territory accreditation (‘Accredited Schools’). Other commercial use, hiring or lending, or other use as part of any commercial, not-for-profit, or fee-paying program of instruction or tuition not carried out within an Accredited School is strictly prohibited.