meeting initial needs in literacy
MiniLit is an evidence-based, explicit and effective early literacy intervention program for teaching reading skills to children who are in the bottom 25% of the expected range for their age group in Year 1 or 2. MiniLit is a Tier 2 small group program (up to four students per group) within a Response to Intervention framework, but it can also be used on a one-to-one basis. MiniLit is available to schools only.
Who is it for?
- Specifically aimed at struggling Year 1 readers
- Also appropriate for ‘at-risk’ students
MiniLit should be delivered 4-5 times per week, for one hour per lesson. The program can be delivered by teachers, learning support teachers, teacher aides or special educators, and is designed to be delivered to small groups of up to four students, but it can also be used on a one-to-one basis.
- Evidence-based small group program with a proven track record of success
- Cost-effective, with low ongoing operating costs
- Detailed and proven lesson plans for teachers or teacher aides to follow
To read a briefing on the efficacy of MiniLit from the MultiLit Research Unit, click here.
MiniLit is an integrated and balanced program of 80 carefully structured lessons, divided into two levels of 40 lessons each:
Level 1: Teaching the basics of letter/sound knowledge and decoding skills for CVC words
Level 2: Extending word attack knowledge by teaching commonly used digraphs and longer words.
A placement test will indicate the ideal starting point on the program for each student, with criteria provided for grouping students according to instructional level. Regular assessments administered throughout the program will monitor progress. Each lesson comprises three main components:
- Sounds and Words Activities
- Text Reading
- Story Book Reading
The MiniLit Kit contains all necessary Teacher and Student resources to run up to two groups (one Level 1 group and one Level 2 group). Student resources to run additional Level 1 or Level 2 groups can be purchased separately.
The MiniLit Kit includes the following components:
- Introductory DVD
- Teacher Manual
- Handbook (4 handbooks covering 80 lessons in total)
- Sounds and Words Books (5 copies)
- Presentation cards (7 types)
- Student Workbooks (5 copies each of Level 1 and workbooks) [Note: separate booklets are required for each student undertaking the program. Additional booklets may be purchased separately from MultiLit]
- Testing and Lesson Records (1 copy each of Level 1 and Level 2 books)
- Access to a range of online resources in the MultiLit Members’ Area, including placement tests, games and other resources.
Bonus: Schools purchasing MiniLit for the first time will also receive a copy of the Wheldall Assessment of Reading Lists (WARL), an assessment tool designed to measure reading progress for students in Years 1 and 2.
MiniLit Story Book Cards
The MiniLit Story Book Cards set is a resource to assist in the effective delivery of the Story Book component of the MiniLit program, developing children’s skills in listening comprehension, oral language and vocabulary.
Each pack contains 40 Story Book Cards, as well as a session overview and vocabulary review card.
Any of the 40 Story Book Cards may be used for either Level 1 or Level 2 of the MiniLit program, allowing teachers to choose books from the list based on availability and suitability for their group of students, considering their interests, the length of the book, complexity of the text and so on.
Popular children’s literature titles have been selected for the cards, which are readily available from school libraries and book retailers.
Please note: The list of books for the MiniLit Story Book Cards is slightly different from the list of recommended titles provided in our MiniLit Professional Development Workshop. While there is some overlap, we made some updates due to availability and variety of titles. The list of books covered by the MiniLit Story Book Cards can be downloaded here.
The MiniLit Story Book Cards are packaged in a handy carry case and available for purchase for $99 (incl. GST).
MiniLit Professional Development Workshop
MultiLit offers a compulsory two-day Professional Development Workshop which must be completed prior to the delivery of MiniLit. This workshop also provides high-quality training in the area of effective reading instruction.
What the workshop covers
- How to identify the students who lack the critical skills to read
- An in-depth explanation of MiniLit’s approach to reading instruction
- The nuts and bolts of the MiniLit program structure and content
- An overview of the 80 lesson plans and how best to implement them
- Developing your own MiniLit implementation roadmap for your school
- Video demonstrations and extensive practice through role-play
Who should attend?
- Special educators
- Primary teachers
- Literacy coordinators
- Support Teacher Learning Assistance (STLA)
- School-based teacher aides
2 Days (12 Hours)
Teacher Quality Institute, ACT
This program has been accredited by TQI in 2021. Attendance provides 10 PD hours for ACT teachers.
3 easy steps to book your place
1. Check the Professional Development Calendar to find the next date in your chosen location.
2. Complete the PD Registration form with your full details.
3. Email your completed form to email@example.com.
A MultiLit representative will be in touch with you by email to confirm your registration and provide workshop details. Included in all MultiLit workshops are detailed notes to take back to your school, coffee and tea on arrival, morning tea and lunch. If your order includes a program kit, this will be sent directly to your delivery address.
Please note: The use of MultiLit publications and attendance at professional development workshops is for personal education use in schools with State/Territory accreditation (‘Accredited Schools’). Other commercial use, hiring or lending, or other use as part of any commercial, not-for-profit, or fee-paying program of instruction or tuition not carried out within an Accredited School is strictly prohibited.