InitiaLit–2 (Year 2) whole-class initial instruction in literacy
By Year 2, most children will be well on their way to reading independence. The program builds on the skills taught in InitiaLit–F and InitiaLit–1, with the focus shifting now to consolidating children’s reading and spelling skills, working specifically on reading comprehension, fluency, spelling and vocabulary.
InitiaLit–2 has four main components:
- Spelling. This component reviews phoneme-grapheme correspondences and spelling concepts taught in InitiaLit–1 and teaches the remainder of the advanced alphabetic code systematically and explicitly. Children will also learn new spelling rules and morphological concepts.
- Reading comprehension and fluency. In this component, children will be taught comprehension strategies explicitly and how to apply them to different types of text. They will also be given regular opportunities to work on reading fluency through echo, choral and paired reading.
- Grammar. Children will be explicitly taught key grammatical features and how to apply them to a writing task.
- Vocabulary, oral language and comprehension through children’s literature. Detailed lessons are provided for each of the 15 storybook titles selected for use with the program, including detailed writing tasks. Two novel studies are included for use towards the end of the year.
For InitiaLit-2 First-time Purchasers
To maintain integrity of delivery and ensure you get the most out of your program, registration for a InitiaLit Professional Development (PD) Workshop is required with the first purchase of a InitiaLit-2 Kit.
To complete your First-time Purchase, please register for a InitiaLit PD Workshop, and when prompted, add the InitiaLit-2 Kit to your cart. Once you have completed the checkout process for these items, we will activate your InitiaLit-2 Membership and send a confirmation by email within two business days. You will then be able to return to the shop to purchase additional consumables and replacement components.
Customers that have already completed the InitiaLit PD Workshop as part of either an InitiaLit-F or InitiaLit-1 Membership program are not required to attend the InitiaLit PD Workshop again; you may purchase your InitiaLit-2 Kit on its own, using the respective button below.
- InitiaLit-2 is only available for purchase by schools
- Schools wishing to purchase InitiaLit–F and/or InitiaLit–1 in addition to InitiaLit–2 should contact our Accounts team for assistance prior to placing their first InitiaLit order. They can be reached via 1300 559 919, or [email protected]